information on photography, old and new.

Friday, December 19, 2008

Flash Radiation Circles

Strobe Radiation

After a lot of thinking and evaluations of pictures and formula of GN / Feet = F/Stop

I come to realize that lighting can be better defined as radiation of energy in all directions from the centralized source that diminishes in volume the further the radiation travels.

Studio lighting or strobe lighting is a fast discharge of energy that causes an explosion that crates a bright light (and a lot of heat as well but we don't care to much about that for this document). I've discovered though experimenting a few days back discovered a formula of S = ( Sqrt ( (Gn / Ft) 2 + (Ft / Ft) 2 ) ) * 2

this works but it's off by 1 stop, but I can adjust for that.... new formula

S = ( Sqrt ( ( ( Gn / Ft ) 2 ) / 1.4 + ( ( Ft / Ft ) 2 ) / 1.4

I first tried to manually draw out the flash circles by using drafting paper, but I don't have a drafting compass, and I don't have a protractor. I went to Wal-Mart but also there wasn't one, so I ended up making a java applet for this. I know this isn't the best, but I made it to draw out each whole steps for the flash circles based on the Guide Number. Then there is a line to show how the flash circle would actually display depending how close the wall is to the flash. I marked on the wall line 5 feet markers. I'll work on making the markers actually find the 5 zones down and the size of the..... maybe.. but for now here is what I have.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers